Certification Informationcertificate
All Hall County Public School teachers, school administrators, service personnel and paraprofessionals are required by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) to hold an appropriate certificate for their field, subject, grade level, or assignment. The GaPSC establishes regulations and procedures to evaluate the credentials of prospective teachers, as well as other professional employees in the schools, to ensure they meet specified preparation standards and requirements.

State certification provides a standardized base-level of professional knowledge and skills for the educators working in public schools. Like many other states, Georgia has adopted a combination of individualized requirements and some commonly used standards developed by the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC). The GaPSC outlines the state certification system in rules and procedures for the Certification of Education Personnel. For information on eligibility, reciprocity, testing requirements, and applications, please visit the GaPSC website or contact the Commission directly at:

Georgia Professional Standards Commission

Certification Section
200 Piedmont Ave, Suite 1702
Atlanta, Georgia 30334-9032

Telephone: 1-800-869-7775 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Email: mail@gapsc.com

Or, review information on the GaPSC’s website: www.gapsc.com

Hall County Public Schools’ Certification office provides customer support with processing certification documents for new and current employees. All certification renewals and conversions of certificates are handled by the Hall County Certification office.

Certificate Upgrades:
The GaPSC Certificate Upgrade Advisor, www.gapsc.com  can help educators find advanced degree programs closely aligned with their current fields of certification or find degree programs leading to a new field of certification while also earning a higher degree.

Instructions for Upgrading your Certificate Level:

Print and complete the 3 page PSC application, www.gapsc.com  and attach a sealed official transcript. (Please do not have your transcript sent separately; request the college or university you attended to send you an official transcript that has the date that your degree was conferred on it).   If you have not completed the GaPSC Verification of Lawful Presence (VLP) form www.gapsc.com  print and complete the VLP form, have it notarized and send it with your PSC application packet to Penny Kerns, Certification Specialist, in Human Resources.

You must register on My PSC at www.gapsc.com to receive an email from GaPSC when your certificate has been processed.  Print your certificate via MyPSC and fax a copy of your new certificate to Charlene Young at 770-536-3777.  She will calculate your new pay level increase if applicable and forward the information to payroll.

Renewal for current Hall County School District Employees
The State of Georgia mandates that professional teaching certificates be renewed every five years with either 10 professional development units (PLUs) or six-semester hours of college credit or a combination of the two. These credits must be accrued during the validity period of the certificate to be renewed. For example, if your certificate is valid July 1, 2011, through June 30, 2016, credits must have been earned between those dates to count toward certificate renewal.

Applications for renewal of certifications will be sent to the schools in March of the year of expiration.
(HB 1307: PLU Requirements for Certificate Renewal: 7/1/15 – 6/30/17)

Paraprofessional Certification Information
All Georgia Paraprofessionals must hold a valid state license issued by the Professional Standards Commission.

Applicants for paraprofessional must:

  1. Hold an associate degree or higher; OR

  2. Have at least 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours of acceptable college credit; OR

Have passed either the GACE Paraprofessional Assessment, www.gace.ets.org or Georgia Paraprofessional assessment (no longer available) or the Praxis